Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Posh Crosswords

I am NOT good at crossword puzzles.  In fact, I stink!  My dad on the other hand is a crossword puzzle king.  Well, at least I think so.  He says that the best way to get better at doing them is to do them.  Makes sense, right? Over the years, I, along with my loving family members, have purchased "easy" crossword puzzle books for me to work through.  I begin with high hopes but in the end, I'm stumped.  What kind of clue is "Words with the chase"?!!  I want clues like "Is yellow and shines brightly in the sky" or "Has four wheels and you can drive in it".  I finally concluded that I just wasn't cut out to be a crossword puzzler.
UNTIL last weekend.  My husband and I were out perusing a discount store, picking up items and putting them back after realizing we didn't really need them, when I spotted this Posh Crossword book.
 At first I thought it was just another cute journal. But when I realized it was a crossword puzzle book (and it was only $4.oo), the interest in conquering my crossword handicap was immediately renewed, and I had to take it home with me (after purchasing it, of course!).  I've been steadily working on puzzle number two.  No helps from my husband or the answers in the back.  So I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm determined.
Other than the fact that I'm challenging myself with something I'm not good at, I also have a totally adorable little book to set on my end table.  If you're looking for a unique gift, here it is! These pocket-sized puzzle books by The Puzzle Society make you feel chic while they stimulate your mind. There are books for games from sudoku to hangman. So much fun!! Check them out at Barnes and Noble or check out this website Andrews McMeel Publishing. There's something about grabbing a book covered in a pattern that you'd actually wallpaper a room in that helps keep you interested in something you're not so great at.  Try it!













3 comments :

  1. These are really cool! I am like you- not so good with crossword puzzles, so I might try them, but I love Sudoku!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sudoku is great!! I LOVE the cover of these puzzle books. Even if I never did them, they are just cute!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will check those out they look really cute. I am a crossword fanatic. I hardly ever finish one. Studies have shown things like crossword puzzles, and other brain exercises help stave off alzheimer's. My mom was really into them, and recently I took a bus trip with our base to Poland. We did a 'bus' crossword book where one person said the clue out loud and we as a group answered it. I was deemed the crossword queen lol they wanted to recruit me into every bus/crossword trip, but I'll settle for the one title :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...