Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

From Mailing Box to {Music} Organizer

I've promised a post about my new music shelf which I am entirely excited to share with you.  If you are not already aware, music does not come printed on standard 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper.  They are slightly larger and thus, do not fit within many normal bookshelves.  Sometimes I'll find a bookshelf with one extra large shelf and then the other standard size.  Just won't work.  

I was shopping at a discount store a few weeks ago and came across a bookshelf that had THREE large shelves.  The bottom shelf even held a canvas box! Price: $30.  I could definitely swing that one.  So happy was I to finally find a shelf that would hold my music that I took it home with me and assembled it right away.  It was perfect and I found the perfect place for it in my house, very near our piano.

In order to store my massive amounts of sheet music on this shelf, I had planned to use magazine holders.  Otherwise, the music would just fall over and become a huge unorganized mess. But have you ever checked out the price for magazine holders? Ain't cheap! So onto plan B.

I have to give the credit for this project to Kim from Too Much Time On My Hands.  She was the one who came up with this incredible repurpose in the first place and her boxes are adorable. Thanks, Kim.

Lying in my craft room, ready to be reused were some flat rate boxes that came to my home bearing birthday, anniversary, and Christmas gifts. I always keep boxes like these because they hold up so well in the mail and can easily be folded, put away, and reused later. 


I used a magazine holder that I already had as a template and cut the box into the desired shape.  I then used some brown patterned paper I got at the Dollar Tree (once again, love that place) and Mod Podged it onto the boxes.  Brush the Mod Podge on very thinly or else that paper will bubble.  As a little embellishment, I glued ribbon and leaf cutouts that matched the pattern on the paper.  Here is my new sheet music bookshelf!








Linking to:

Chocolate Drool and Kisses

12 comments :

  1. Ha Ha, That was me! And your look WAY better! AND I cannot find a shelf large enough to hold my cool storage either...boo! Nice work!

    Here is the link to my project
    http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/05/get-organized.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kim: Wow! I am so glad you found this post!! I really wanted to give you credit but truly could not find you : ) I'll add your link to my post straight away. BTW, you're look awesome!! That's why I wanted to try this project in the first place. Thanks soooo much for the inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE!!!! I need something fabulous like this for misc. papers in our office!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea!! I have been looking for sheet music organization. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea and Dollar Tree!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such an awesome idea! I love it! and it looks great! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea using the mailing boxes...I love the brow/black color combo too. I love the dollar tree too! Your Newest follower Becky@sweetbeehollow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you on Simply Designing. Creative people like you inspire me so I decided to follow your blog. This project turned out so nice. You would never guess where you got your supplies. Nicely done. I hope you will follow me back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I can be found in facebook too http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and twitter @DeniseLillaRose If you like/follow me there I will do the same for you. When you stop by my blog, please check out my kind of fashion (hair jewelry).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also a musician and did the exact same thing!

    http://robandbritdeyoung.blogspot.com/2010/08/look-at-what-i-did.html

    I knew there had to be other people out there with the same frustrating issues! It was making me nuts that no one made large sized magazine boxes for music. Yours turned out so Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so cute, I so need to find me some priority mail boxes! Thanks for linking up.
    Crystal
    www.chocolatedroolandkisses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic idea!! Pinning it. Thanks for sharing.

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...