Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

{Quinoa} Pasta with Spinach and Shrimp



I'm writing this post trying to ward off the feeling that a perpetual rain cloud is hovering over my head. Yesterday, I was experiencing the highest of highs as I laid a big welcome-home kiss on my husband outside international customs while we tried our best not to recreate a sappy scene from any number of epic chick flicks.  We failed. It was glorious and I won't lie and say that I didn't feel like we were on our honeymoon again after being apart for longer than any two people who are head over heels for each other should be. Then this morning I kissed him again, but this time to say goodbye as he flew off (in a plane. he left his cape at home.) for a week of training. And what do I say to that as I wipe away the proverbial crocodile tear?  Let's go shopping!! Hey, it's the first of the month and we need groceries.   Just so happens that a Target trip is overdue.  They sell groceries, right?  : )  Need I say more? So those are my plans for the day.  That and to pick up my little monster who is being doggysat by some amazing friends.  Thanks, Josh and Sarah! 

As I push away my rain cloud, let me tell you about Quinoa (pronounced ke-nwa).  This superfood is amazingly good for you and is quick and easy to prepare.  Read about some of its incredible health benefits here at MindBodyGreen.  My husband and I have been eating Quinoa for years now, but only about a year ago did I discover that it came in pasta form.  What?!!!  Seriously.  




Here is a little dish I put together a few nights ago that I will definitely be adding to my menu more often: Quinoa Past with Spinach and Shrimp.  You are getting double fiber in this recipe with the quinoa and spinach together.  Bonus!  Then double up the protein with the quinoa and shrimp. Bonus again!



This recipe is for one serving so multiply accordingly.

What you'll need:
  • 2 oz quinoa rotelle pasta
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 3 oz precooked shrimp
  • 1 handful of raw spinach
  • seasoned salt to taste (just a little)
  1. Cook pasta according to instruction.  
  2. While waiting for pasta to cook, boil shrimp in saucepan with 1 cup of water until the shrimp are somewhat clear.  Don't overcook or they will be tough.  Drain, pull of tails, and sprinkle with seasoning salt. 
  3. Add spinach to shrimp and cook until wilted.  Set aside.
  4. Drain pasta and toss with lemon juice.  
  5. Add spinach and shrimp to pasta and there you have it!!


Nutritional Info

Serving Size: 1 
Calories: 322
Fat: 3.1g
Carbs: 47.1g
Fiber: 5.7g
Protein: 26.9g









No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...