Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chili Sauce {Substitute}


I have an amazing Spark People recipe to share that has an added twist. I didn't the have chili sauce that the recipe called for, so I Googled and found an incredible substitute.

First of all, if you haven't heard of Spark People, you have got to visit their site.  They have all the help and guidance you need to start eating healthy and exercising.  They have trackers for EVERYTHING all the way down to the number of glasses of water you drink per day.  I won't say that I track everything that I should, but I do make good use of their meal planner.  They have dozens of suggested meals and snacks that you can customize to your liking.

The recipe that I made was their 20 Min Chicken Creole recipe. It called for chili sauce, and I didn't have any.  In fact, I had never bought chili sauce before and didn't even know where it was in the grocery store and was too embarrassed to ask anyone!!  {shame}  But this dilemma led me to Google search chili sauce substitutes.  I came across this forum on Food.com.  I had all the ingredients necessary except the allspice, which was a surprise....I usually have that.  I also was able to find out what chili sauce actually was.

Chili Sauce Sub:

1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
dash of ground cloves
dash of ground allspice

       = 1 cup chili sauce

I served the chicken over white rice, and it was delicious.  We could taste the sweetness of the brown sugar and cinnamon.  It's definitely going to be a repeat meal.



1 comment :

  1. One, I LOVE Spark People! Two, I didn't know they made chili sauce either!! LOL I found that it is down the same aisle as the condiments (in Food Lion) Sounds yummy!!

    ~ Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...