Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Wonderful Thing To Know {Devos}



"For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name." Luke 1:49

Every time I sit down to read my Bible, I ask the Lord to reveal something to me that I can take with me throughout my day.  Did He ever answer that prayer this morning! 

It is human nature to focus on those things that are negative in our lives.  Dwelling on small things like early mornings and grocery shopping {I don't enjoy either} can really put us in a bad mood. As Christians and particularly women, we know how our thoughts are the driving force behind our words and actions.  Negative thoughts = negative words and actions.  So these negative thoughts have NO rightful place in our minds...or do they. 

This verse above was spoken by Mary the mother of Jesus. At this point in time, she has just found out that she is with child.  She is visiting her cousin Elisabeth who also has experienced a miracle in that the Lord has allowed her to conceive in her old age.  The women begin to rejoice together over what the Lord has done for them.   

Let's look at Mary's situation for a moment.  She has found out she is with child, yet she has never known a man.  Imagine yourself in this position.  What do YOU suppose others would think about this? Is this a negative in her life?  She could look at it in that way.  But in such a greater way, it is a positive.  

As an example, I'm going to address my "negatives" in this light for.  Waking up early in the morning.  I DO NOT enjoy this.  I'm not a morning person and never have been.  If I wake up and all I can do is dwell on the fact that it's early and I'm tired, that's going to affect my attitude and my day.  So I'll just forget about the fact that I'm up early, right? Wrong! Instead, let me think about the fact that I was ABLE to get out of bed this morning, that I have warm water for a shower, that the birds are waking up and singing a song, that I woke up with my husband beside me, that I have the ability to move, that I have a roof over my head..... I could go on with an endless list of POSITIVES.  

Don't just push your negatives out the window.  Dwell on them but in a positive light.  Mary said that "he hath done to me great things;"   One of those great things was at the same time a negative.  Only God could pull that one off! Holy is his name!!


4 comments :

  1. Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on THESE THINGS. Amen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I needed this reminder. I so enjoy your blog, Jane. I feel like I get to know you a little better with each post I read.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...